Sunday, March 6, 2011

To Thug or not to Thug;

"I want a man with a little bit of thug in him."
This use to be the one sentence that I use to hate hearing when I was on the dating scene. Whenever I heard this phrase uttered from a potential woman that I was interested in it was instant rejection for me because anyone who is familiar with me knows, is that I am far from being a thug.
And thank God for that.
Merriam Webster's dictionary defines a thug as a brutal ruffian and assassin. More specifically it says that a thug is a violent, brutal person who is often a member of an organized gang.
So my question (and I find myself reflecting on these kinds of thoughts even more so now that my wife is pregnant with our daughter), is why do some women constantly ask for this. Do they not know what a thug is or have they been glamorized by the media into believing that a thug is a bad boy who is tough in the street and can handle his business and take care of his woman.
Yet upon closer examination, when you really look at these men who are "thugs" their lives have fairly little to do with handling business and taking care of their business.
And women, that I know, who are attracted to these men spend most of their lives trying to fix them and rehabilitate them into more productive members of society - thus taking away their thuggish nature. It's pure insanity. The very thing you like about him, you try to change, because you realize that it's not healthy for him to continue on this way.
Some how the media has glamorized these types of men and have brainwashed our youth into thinking these men are "cool." Perhaps its the image of slain rapper Tupac that has redefined the meaning of thugs for us. Perhaps the rapid adoption of the word was spurred on by him and other rappers from that era.
But I digress, and I must say - there is nothing cool about a man who cannot take care of his family or his responsibilities by illegal means. There is nothing cool about a man who's attitude is so negative that he is unable to function in a professional environment.
Thugs by the very definition of what they truly are, are just not able to function in normal society. They are on a very violent path. Now some may disagree with me and say Jamal you're exaggerating. Thugs aren't that bad. And to those that say this I say you really don't know the true meaning of a thug.

0 comments: