Sunday, May 29, 2011

My son

This is the post I've been dreading, but desperately needed to write. And I have to admit, who would want to ever discuss the death of their child.

But I need to do this, as hard as it might be, I need to talk about my little boy. Nearly a year ago my little boy was born prematurely - at 30 weeks - and for a three week period my wife and I got to see an extraordinary little child.

Our son was our first child, a tiny little 2lb. boy that defied the odds and taught my family just what strength was. He was cared for in a neonatal intensive care unit, (NICU) by a fantastic team of nurses and doctors. He passed late May, succumbing to Necrotizing enterocolitus, a devastating disease that literally destroys the intestines of premature children.

There are no words that can describe the loss of my son. Everyday and every night I think about him. A lot of our friends and our family look at us and they really don't understand what we're going through.

But then, how could they? How could they ever imagine not seeing their child take their first steps; speak their first words; learn how to ride a bike; or even come home for the first time.

My dad often tells me, "Son you'll never get over it, but you will get through it."
I wonder if I will feel like that in time. Even with the birth of a new child, my wife and I still reflect on our little boy. Our family, circle broken before it even truly begins.

But there is comfort in faith. One day I will see my brave little boy again in heaven. I will get to see him as God meant him to be, without the tubes; without the restraints; without any limitations.

Until then, I will miss you son, and I love you with all my heart.

0 comments: