Monday, August 29, 2011

The Equalizer

Want to know that the equalizer in an argument with your spouse is?


No, it's not this guy. Read on to find out.

"Talk to me like you talk to those folks on your job."

This one single sentence was offered as a piece of advise during one of my trips to the barbershop.

That's an "equalizer" in an argument my barber told me. It puts a halt to anyone who's disrespectful or says something that they shouldn't in a marital spat.

Because when you think about it, we often tend to talk to our coworkers with more respect than we do our spouses in a heated argument (well some of us do).

I know for me, the worst feeling in the world is to say something that I should not have during an argument with my wife. Once you say it, it stays out there forever. You can't take it back and the results can be devastating in the marriage and for your life.

But, what if - just what if, we were to take the approach to have discussions with our spouses as if it was a business meeting. We could iron out potential conflicts that would arise from disrespectful words and name calling.

I think the phrase needs repeating:

"Talk to me like you talk to those folks on your job."

0 comments: