Sunday, September 18, 2011

On the final episode of  Joss Whedon's television series Angel, the protagonist and his team find themselves going up against insurmountable odds as apocalypse has been unleashed on earth.


Standing in an alley way soaking wet and half beaten, with some of their numbers depleted - as pictured above - the crew embarks on what could be their final battle against the forces of evil. The battle was spurred on by Angel's refusal to go along with the flow and do something to strike back at the forces of evil.

Isn't this just like the walk of a Christian? I mean when you think about it, as long as we're willing to go along with things as they are and not be shining lights to our community, then things are fine. But the moment we take a stand against sin, that's when all hell breaks loose and we face adversity.

So many times I've found myself in this position, and to be honest, sometimes I've just gone along not wanting to ruffle any feathers. Has anyone else done this? Have you just wanted to fit in? Or just be accepted?

I know I use to face this dilemma all the time when I was a reporter working for small newspapers. I remember one time in particular a former managing editor at the newspaper I was working for was arrested for outstanding parking tickets.

The paper got a heads up that he was going to be arrested and madly rushed over to his residence to take pictures of him being apprehended. I didn't go with them, but at the same time, I didn't express my displeasure in them doing this.

To do so, would incur the wrath of my co-workers and put me on the outside (ironically, I would eventually become an outsider anyway). I let my fear prevent me from standing up and doing what was right.

I think the key point of Christianity is that standing up for what is right isn't easy, and it's going to cost you something. I think Christ put it best in Luke 9:23 when he said: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

0 comments: