Sunday, November 13, 2011

You're not cool anymore

After reading a Rolling Stone interview with comedian Eddie Murphy, who is now 50, I immediately felt like I was out of touch.

I think the thing that's hitting me most, is that all these cultural changes have happened in the last few years, and I've just kind of stopped trying to play catch up. Seriously. Now, when I take the time to look and see the changes, I'm so far behind...

Like the other day, I went looking for a pair of jeans. My style has always been a relaxed fit. A little baggy, but not so much that they would fall off my behind if I took two steps.

I immediately talked to the clerk in hopes that she could point me in the right direction. She told me that the style was getting away from that. Men now like to wear skinny jeans. 

I'm sorry I'm already a slim dude - NO way am I ever going to wear or put on some skinny jeans.

But that's my point. When did the world suddenly turn upside down. When did such cultural icons in my youth like Eddie Murphy become a thing of the past? When did rappers like Niki Minaj come to the forefront of the hip hop charts?

I don't have any answers. Maybe it's because I outgrew a lot of those things. Maybe it happened when I stopped going to Target every Tuesday to pick up the latest releases. Maybe it happened when I stopped going to the movies every Friday to catch the latest flick.

Maybe it happened when my priorities switched and the most important things in my life were being a good husband and father. Or maybe, I just grew up.

0 comments: