Monday, June 6, 2011

The Music conundrum

A couple of weeks ago, I was discussing some of my musical preferences with an old childhood friend. He was shocked to learn that much of the music that I listened to now is a bit different - not the hardcore hip hop that I use to listen to frequently.

Wu-Tang Clan has been replaced by Canton Jones. Biggie Smalls has been replaced by Yolanda Adams. I listen to older music now - from the 60s and frequently I listen to music from the 80s.

I think what happens to when you enter into the body of Christ, is that your musical taste change. You're more careful about the messages that you take in.

Now can I be honest with you guys for a minute. I love hip hop. I love every aspect of it. But there came a point where personally, I couldn't justify listening to the messages that were prevalent in a lot of rap music and feel like I was following Christ.

For a long time I felt like the biggest hypocrite listening to the music. I felt conflicted and it would tear me up. I felt so conflicted I erased 90% of the music on my hard drive.

As for now I'm in a different place. I barely listen to rap music now - and if I do, it's usually something without curse words and its inspirational. Now I don't feel like a hypocrite, and if my daughter overhears one of the songs I'm listening to... well it's all good. I have no shame about it.

0 comments: