Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rants of a Sleep Deprived Dad: Part II

Welcome to another installment of Confessions of a Sleep Deprived Dad. As always these are written when I'm at my the height of my drowsiness or sleep deprivation - or some term I'm too tired to look up. Anyhow, enjoy.

So, what do you do when your infant daughter has a restless night and won't calm down despite your best attempts. You strap her in the car seat and you take an early morning drive down Peachtree.

I found out two things during my early morning drive with Grace. First and foremost, there are a lot of people that cycle between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Two, Atlanta really isn't that big - it just seems that way when there's a lot of traffic. And during Sunday morning there really isn't a lot of traffic on the roads during that time.

Anyhow, Grace and I enjoyed a pleasant stroll for nearly an hour. She was knocked out - not making a peep. It was incredibly different from her attitude during her 3 a.m. feeding. She stayed up and refused to go back to sleep. Oh we would hold hr for a bit, but it was clear to us that she really did not want to go back to bed.

Her mom, was at her wits end, so in order to give everyone a bit of peace, I loaded up Grace in the car and we took a little stroll. Within two minutes she was out colder than a pitcher of my wife's auntie's kool-aide on a hot summer day. Now that's cold.

It's amazing to me, but its something about riding in a car that actually soothes Grace. I wonder if there have been studies of this done. I suppose I could go to Google and look, but at this point, it's taking all my energy just to get this post out.

Anyhow, I hope that Grace sleeps a little better tonight. I really don't want to take her on another ride on Monday morning - not in the heart of Atlanta traffic.

0 comments: