Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

Once upon a time, I could never please my father. Or at least that's what I use to think back when I was growing up. I would think that maybe he wanted a more athletic son, or someone who was intensely interested in sports.

I was anything but. My passions were turtles, frogs and any other creature that I could corral and put in my outside terrarium. I was a nerd in the very truest since of the word.

While other sons played sports and their dads went to games, my dad had to live out his fantasies of a son playing sports through some other kids on the block. Or at least that's what I use to believe.

You see while other dads were teaching their sons the rules of the game, my dad was helping me find bait so that I could cultivate my turtle farm.

While other kids had their dads becoming coaches, my dad would actively encourage my imagination. He would play big dog/little dog with me. It was a game where we would crawl around on the floor and bark at one another.

He taught me how to fly my first kite - a Superman kite that we purchased from Roses. I ended up peeling the skin off my write wrist, after it got caught up in the kite twine. The scar is visible to this day and the incident happened more than 20 years ago.

I can remember when we would go out and gather straw for my dog Spot. Each week Spot would break out of his pin, and my dad would have to put all these boards around the top so our canine friend couldn't escape.

When I graduated from college he was there, making noise in the stands. He seemed more excited than I was at the time.

I remember when I became an adult and I had my own apartment, my dad stayed with me for a week. It was one of the best times we've had in our lives.

I know that some familiar with our story might say that there were some bad times. But you know what, life is too short to stay hung up on all the ends and outs that you have with a person, and at this point I would rather reflect on the positive experiences.

Happy Father's Day!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: