Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Never a dull moment on mass transit

I just recently started back taking the train to work. After about a weeks worth of paternity leave, and another week of driving to my job, I had almost forgotten the fun and interesting people that I would meet during my travels.

But, here was one such person to remind me. Sparky, as I like to call him, was asking for change from people, and he came across one particular person that he didn't care too much for. We'll call this person Joe. Sparky asked Joe for some change and Joe suggested that he get a job.

This didn't go over to well with Sparky. For the better part of seven long, painful and excruciating minutes, Sparky in a high pitched voice proceeded to call Joe everything but a child of God. He lunged at Joe several times and even walked away yelling profanities. But Sparky would get a certain distance and come right back, and continue yelling again. It was as if Joe represented all the frustration in Sparky's life - and it was as if all those frustrations had come to a head.

"I hate you so much. All you had to do was just shut up and mind your own business. Just shut up!!! Shut up," Sparky yelled.

"You have a real personal problem," Joe lobbed back. "Pick up your change and go."

"You don't tell me what to do. Just shut up. Shut up. I can't stand your voice it sickens me," Sparky said in a high pitch shrill. (I loved the irony).

For seven minutes this tirade went on. It ended when Sparky calmly apologized to bystanders for losing his cool, but not before throwing in a few last digs to Joe.

Yup, mass transit. How I've missed you so. Nice to know that no matter how long you're gone, no matter when you come back you're bound to run into some real interesting characters.

0 comments: