Thursday, June 2, 2011

So I have to hide Grace for 18 years ...

A recent trip to the mall to get my wife a smoothie confirmed all my fears about raising a daughter.
As I came in through the entrance I was flooded with images of teen girls wearing dresses and skirts that were too short; jiggling bellies that lay out in the open; and young men who were wearing tight, yet sagging pants at the same time.

I think it was this moment that I realized, you know what dad, you're going to be in some trouble when little Grace gets older. Let me explain.

See not that long ago, I was one of these knuckle heads that would often post up with my boys at local malls and local outings to scope out the young ladies. I can remember spending time at Columbia Mall when I attended the University of South Carolina, anxiously gazing at each young woman that passed by. I was a knucklehead with time on his hands, and not a chance in the world at talking to those young women.

But things were a bit more innocent back then. Now we live in a society where social media is king, and young men and women are flooded with images of what beautiful looks like.

Apparently, judging by what I saw at the mall, being half naked with butt implants is in, and covering up is out.

One of the things that I'm hoping for, is the ability to clearly communicate to little Grace, that she looks beautiful without those things and that her prince charming won't be a guy she meets with tight, yet sagging pants to his ankles. He'll be a man of God that's well dressed and will appreciate her spirit.

But I have to tell you, after that trip to the mall, I really am a bit nervous. I think the next time my wife wants a smoothie I'll just have her get it - at least until Grace is 18, 25.

0 comments: